Dead & Company Boulder 6/10 Review: Go See This Band Live



3500 feet in the air, and on my way back to the Motor City. I had a hell of a trip, at times worrying I might fall off the rollercoaster ride. Up to this point, I seem to still be alive. As much as I want to write a review of night two in Boulder, I also wonder what I’ll say, because its not an easy story to tell. How many different ways can I tell you that Jeff Chimenti can make a man dance who’s never heard the Grateful Dead before? How do I explain such a wild turnaround from a surely shoddy night one in Boulder, into an absolutely rip-roaring dance party in night two? It’s sure amazing what a day will do! I wasn’t ready to write off the band after a slow start to the Boulder shows, but not in my wildest dreams did I expect such a turn around. 

After a nice long freeze in the cryogenic chamber, Bob Weir came back into Folsom Field sounding better than ever. The band felt frenzied and eager to deliver a night that no one would forget anytime soon. 

Set One kicked off with a good tempo Truckin’, but that song was quickly forgotten because I couldn’t figure out what the hell was happening in song two. Were they playing Smokestack Lightning, never mind, now it’s Spoonful, nope back to Smokestack, then back to Spoonful. What a great mashup of a couple of Howlin’ Wolf songs! 

The next song, the gang set Bertha on fire then came Ramble on Rose, and you could really start to sense it was going to be a special night. The band was dialed in. Mickey and Bill, the backbone of the band on drums, kicked things up a notch and got the boys flying down the track. Oteil Burbridge on bass was feeding off of Jeff on keys and John Mayer was feeding off Oteil. It was a beautiful sight to see. Pretty sure that’s the most I’ve seen Oteil smile all tour and that man smiles all the time to begin with. Stage right is where I will be to see Oteil shining smiles down to me. 

During Ramble on Rose, it became very clear how much John has been practicing and listening to the intricacies of Jerry Garcia’s playing. His solo was absolutely spot on, sounding like Jerry in the late 70’s. This isn’t to say he is copying Jerry, but it was clear the notes he played were pulled right off of some early Dead tapes, and this being John’s show, he expanded and evolved the original composition beautifully, like only he can do. It’s amazing that assholes like Chris Robinson have the audacity to say that John’s added nothing new to this band. What a childish and spiteful has been, wishing he was in the band. 

Next came an up-tempo acoustic version of Friend of the Devil, which was a majestic surprise. Loser was another highlight of the first set with John and Jeff trading solos. Set one wrapped up with Brown Eyed Women and a then an unexpected (first of the tour) Turn on Your Lovelight. Magic was in the air, but now we all had to withstand the hour long set break. Good news for the folks on the floor was that they delivered 14 fully stocked port a john’s. Needless to say the lines were fucking long and nearly unbearable. I spent the set break in the bathroom line, debating whether or not I should get right back in the line after I finished the first time. 

Set two began with Help > Slipknot > Franklin’s Tower and that got me dancing like a mad man. It is crazy how many times I can hear Franklin’s Tower, knowing it’s expected out of Slipknot and every damn time that chord progression takes off I lose my mind. The set trio opener was grooving nicely and the band was ready to expand upon where things went in the first set. 

Next came China Doll for the second time of the tour, sung gracefully by Oteil. This has quickly become one of my favorites from the band, and it’s so great to hear him sing. I’d say the band is due to add some more Oteil songs! What a beautiful and soulful voice they’ve been hiding away. Things took a weird turn for the always enjoyable Dark Star, once again I was in the bathroom line. I got a small bladder, what can I say? Dark Star seemed quite explorative, and I can’t wait to listen to it again, because those folks in the bathroom line sure love to talk. I thought the boys would spin Dark Star into Drums and Space, but they deviated to the set’s second ballad, Stella Blue. Another tremendous delivery from Bobby on vocals, and of course John coming in clutch for another epic guitar solo. 

Unsure of what they’d break out next, they ventured into China Cat Sunflower and then the set closer, I Know You Rider with the crowd in a full out frenzy. The show was so damn good I didn’t even see the Saturday Night closer coming. The boys wrapped things up and I think everyone in the stadium was sure they would come back for a second encore. 

So, all this was my round about way of telling anyone deliberating over seeing the band to stop fucking around and buy the tickets, take the ride. I am burying myself in debt with this tour as I just maxed out a sixth credit card and I couldn’t care less, because the music and these experiences will live on forever. They’ve gotten better each tour, and they’ve gotten better throughout this tour. I’ve never experienced a band looking happier on stage than these guys have the last few shows. I even saw Bobby smile last show! Next on the tour is Atlanta (Tonight Only), then Pittsburgh Thursday. I’ll be back in Pittsburgh, and in the meantime I’ll be trying to figure out how the hell I can get my ass to some more shows after that. I suppose I could go to work. 



Possible songs on the docket for Atlanta: 
Playing
Cumberland
Scarlet 
Fire
Viola Lee
Easy Wind
Sugar Magnolia 

Boulder 6/10 Setlist: 
Set 1:
Truckin' > Smokestack Lightning > Spoonful > Bertha > Ramble on Rose
Friend of the Devil
Loser
Brown Eyed Women
Turn on Your Lovelight

Set 2:
Help on the Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower
China Doll
Dark Star > Drums > Space > Stella Blue > China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Encore: One More Saturday Night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dead & Company: The 2017 Planning For Retirement Tour (And Show Statistics)

Dead and Company Boulder 6/9 Review

The Definition of Love: Dead & Company's 2017 Tour