Dead and Company Boulder 6/9 Review

Sometimes its hard to know how you feel about things. I came rocking into the mile high city, having been fortunate enough to see the band’s first six shows, skipping Utah and catapulting on in to Boulder. Walking around lot this afternoon I had a nice chat with a stranger from Austin, Texas. We got to talking about what shows have been the best and his overall sentiment regarding Dead and Company. He stammered on about how he heard the Hollywood Bowl shows have been the best thus far and I responded by stating how subjective the whole experience truly is. This subjective experience is really what makes the whole thing wildly beautiful.

I walked away from tonight’s show angry with the company I keep and rather befuddled by the lackadaisical show the band put out. Beyond all that drama, I realized how much I love this band, because I am truly unable to hear criticism about the band, like I’m actually a fucking member. We begin shaping our experience of the show merely by the way we’ve been thinking during the day. So if you're worried that your girlfriend is a slut, that’s likely to have an impact on the concert. Slut or no slut, the concert must go on. 

If you’re going into the show expecting things to be at a tempo nearer to Joe Russo’s band, then you might as well stay home and suck on your thumb. People need to have some compassion and appreciation for the members of this band, and exactly what it is they are doing at there age. We’ve got two drummers in their 70’s and a lead singer knocking on the doorstep. Nevertheless, people insist that the band is sluggish and boring. 

As for the actual show, it was the worst of the tour, and I wouldn't have categorized any other show thus far as subpar. Something seemed amiss, and surely part of it was the whore attached to my arm. Having said all that, I thought the first set was lovely. They kicked things off with the first Dancin’ in the Streets of the tour, and it was groovy, steady and fun. The first set had some flubs, but a smile did find its way to my face for most of the set. 

On to the second set, St. Stephen was a disaster, the band was disjointed and confused.  Estimated also had some issues, and the tempo was borderline lethargic. From there through the end, the band found some fuel and closed things out on a high note. Eyes was groovy, and I always cherish the extended solo from Jeff. Deal was rocking as usual, and they were almost able to start scatting before the drummers decided to stop playing. Another first of the tour with, Let it Grow, and it came off pretty well. I thought I heard a Even So tease out of space, but they lead me astray, transitioning into the Other One, which was tense and energetic. Then, the obvious highlight came from the set closer, Morning Dew. It was an utterly tremendous, probably worth the price of admission all on its own. I said the band shouldn't even come back out for an encore, but of course they did and everyone waltzed to Touch of Grey. 

Looking back on the set list, it seems better than my initial takeaway of the show. Better than my initial judgment of a girl whom once upon a time seemed gorgeous and kind. Ah, how things change. What’s beautiful about this whole deal is that thousands of people loved this show, flubs and all, and appreciated it for what it was. That’s why this collective is such a phenomenal thing to be a part of and why I’ll return to another show tomorrow, hopefully free from the ties that bind. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dead & Company: The 2017 Planning For Retirement Tour (And Show Statistics)

The Definition of Love: Dead & Company's 2017 Tour